Sunday, February 03, 2008

Journal Update

It's been the same cool winter weather until yesterday when we had a beautiful day with a high of 73°. A great day to get caught up on some chores. I did some trimming of cedars which have grown into the roads and trails. Then cut a big cedar and used it as a rake to sweep the gravel roads. The tractor is starting and running very well for not being used much over the winter.

I've noticed some very early signs of spring. Clover is coming up in several places along with something that looks like chickweed. No buds on trees yet. The goats stay up on the mountain longer so something may be coming up.

I saw the first Cardinal of the year on the water fountain today. May be time to set out an early Hummingbird feeder.

I saw something very unusual early this week. A three legged deer. I'll spare the details, but it had no use of a rear leg. Walked fairly well although oddly and didn't seem stressed. It never saw me, but disappeared when I went to look a second time so I guess it can move fast when needed. I have no idea how it is surviving, but as I mentioned I haven't seen signs of any predators lately. I'm not keen on culling deer as I let hunters do that, but this needs to be done. Because of the obvious handicap I thought I would start seeing it around the deer feeders, but I really haven't seen it since. I can't imagine it being able to jump a fence, but maybe it does.

No comments: