Sunday, July 08, 2007

Weekend Update

The rain continued since last post, another 4" over several days. Really losing track of all the rain. It cleared some on the evening of the 4th so we did some fireworks since we have cousins visiting from Oklahoma. They have had a great time, between rains, driving the gator around the ranch and swimming at the neighbors house each day. At least it has been cool and overcast most of the time. The neighbors had a neighborhood gathering on Friday night so some more Fireworks and country hospitality.

We only had a light rain on Friday so it has begun to dry out somewhat. We are very behind on ranch work. At least the grass in the pasture is doing great. I have not had to water the tomatoes or watermelon at all. Of course we have high grass, unwanted grass, and weeds around the house. We did get a new trimmer to work on the shrubs as they have really grown in this wet weather. They are certainly well established now. It was hard to find something that would grow in this soil and the deer would not eat. Wax Myrtles are the answer and they look very good now. I did get some road and trail repair work done as well as trimming some trees.

It dried enough that on Sunday I was able to finish the new culvert at the usually dry creek behind the cabin. I think it will work very well. It looks good and I'm glad I installed it. Hopefully it won't be fully tested again for a while.

The rain really beat down the mountain pinks, but everything looks so green and all the trees look great. I have noticed a few more Hummingbirds and have seen Painted Buntings several times. The Painted Buntings seem to love the rain, that's when I would usually see them and we've had plenty of rain opportunities. The deer are really coming in for corn in the evenings, I think the does are sticking close to the new fawns. I did see twin fawns run when I went up on Ray's bluff to get some rocks for the culverts. They took off and really enjoyed using those little legs.

No comments: