Monday, July 09, 2007

Goat Rodeo

Sunday night brought big rains to northern Bosque County, but we only had a trace. The lightning show lasted for hours though. It is now dry enough that I was able to do some cosmetic dirt work at the new culvert and the meadow in front of the cabin. I also worked on the ranch road and trails. When finished I cut a big cedar and used it to sweep them and they look very good especially considering the amount of rain we have had.

This evening the neighbors got together to worm goats. I usually use DE (diatomaceous earth) as a supplement for my goats, but DE doesn't work as well in wet conditions so I wanted to use liquids this time. It went very well and three herds were wormed in a short time. Of course I only have 6 goats + billy now so mine went fast. Another reason the goat pasture looks so good is that we sold most of the herd last spring because of drought conditions and the pasture was over grazed. That's not a problem this year with fewer goats and plenty of rain. Lots of grass covering the area where we cut and cleared all the cedar.

No comments: