Monday, July 02, 2007

More New Culvert

Off to town early to get a 12" x 16' steel culvert pipe. This was a project in itself as just as they dropped the pipe onto my trailer it began to rain. I guess they thought they would melt because off they go for cover. I secured the load myself and headed off. Of course I left the window down and the seat was wet, the culvert was much longer than the trailer, and it was raining; this made an exciting drive back to Norse. This rain was just the squall line of the approaching front so it stopped raining by the time I got to the ranch. I knew the big rain was yet to come so I got the culvert installed and started moving dirt as fast as I could in the wet conditions. There was a mound of dirt fairly close which helped. I got the culvert set and covered before the rain began again. I'll have to leave the finish and detail work for later.

Soon we were experiencing a big rain. 1.5" total. When the rain slacked I went to check the new culvert and it worked perfectly. As the pipe is higher I will have to build up the road more, but this will act as a berm to protect the cabin. Should work great. When it drys I can build an overflow and allow for drainage off the trail.

No comments: