Sunday, April 12, 2009

April Showers

I've been very busy in the office this past week so I haven't been able to get much work done on the ranch. With the Easter holiday weekend I've made some time for chores and work. Friday I did some Tractor work and swept the ranch roads. Also cut some cedar. Yesterday was humid and overcast so a good day to burn what brush I did have in the 'gravel pit' brush pile. We did get a nice rain in the early morning hours today. About .62 an inch of rain in the gauge. We can still use more rain.

I saw a few Bluebonnets on the ranch, but very few. The Prairie Verbena looks very good. Most are 6" high on average now and in full bloom. Several other wildflowers starting so May may be good for flowers.

I have not had any problems with raccoons in the Gator or around the house. Eliminating the problem ONE seems to be the correct solution. The birds have been very active. I got another 175 pounds of bird seed (had a coupon) so hopefully that will get me through to summer. I've seen several sets of BlueJays so they are here for sure. One morning there was both a BlueJay and a Cardinal drinking water on the fountain at one time. Nice to see. The hummingbirds are also active. There have been a lot of rabbits at night.

No comments: