Monday, February 05, 2007

Hey Fox

The last two days have been very nice so I've been clearing cedar and burning primarily behind the house. I'm working a fire about 300 feet from the house. Today about 4:00 pm I just stopped to drink some water from the back of the Gator and was looking towards the house and here comes a fox from the woods walking just perpendicular to my front. It keeps coming and gets to within 30-40 feet of me and then turns towards the house. It stops, sniffs, then marks the ground just about the exact spot I shot the fox the other night. It then goes under a bird feeder and eats seed that has fallen on the ground. The fox is between me and the house. It's 50 feet from the house and I'm 250 feet further. No way I can get a gun. Nothing I could do, so I sat down in the Gator and watched the fox for 10-15 minutes. It was about 20% larger than than the other one so I'm assuming this was a male. Very pretty. It never saw me. It was looking primarily towards the house and I was directly behind it. It looked at me once when I made a noise from the water bottle, but not sure if it knew I was there. I thought I would start the Gator and back away thinking perhaps I could work my way around to the front of the house. The fox heard me start the Gator and began walking away around the east of the house. Not sure why it never saw me and not sure why it would come by when a fire was burning, but I think it was making a 'run' of his usual paths and just didn't expect anyone or anything further away from the house. There must be plenty of foxes in the area. More should be culled.

1 comment:

Industrial said...

that animal looks nice