Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Deluge

It's been an interesting spring and summer with all the rain. We've been getting additional rain this week around Texas sometimes very heavy with flooding but we have missed it until yesterday. I'll admit I wanted some rain just to test the new creek & low water crossing I'd built. Yesterday late afternoon we had a deluge. We had 4" of rain in a short period of time and the run off was big. The new moved creek worked great, but just couldn't handle that amount of water and overflowed around both side of the cabin. In fact water crossed over our road at one point and it's elevated 6" above the ground. I checked the new culverts in the county road and the one at the 1400 gate was completely underwater. The larger culvert at the 1342 gate was completely full and almost under. I should have also had the larger 18" culvert at the main 1400 gate as well. Of course yesterday was probably a rare rain event with all that water run off coming so fast. Water was below the top of the culverts and back in the bar ditches after a few hour of drainage.

This morning the new drainage pipe at the new crossing is handling the runoff, but we are expecting more rain today. I need to install a larger steel culvert at the trail crossing and not just the plastic pipe I have now. There are main road repairs to be made, but considering the amount of rain we had it's not bad. Amazingly the tank overflow is not completely full. It may be before the day is over though. It has just started to rain again.

I don't feel so bad about my little wash out as I found out that I was cut off from civilization for a while. It seems Gary Creek really overflowed at FM 182. It had flowed over once before, but they never had to close the road. That's a state Farm to Market road so they are already cleaning out the bridge and roadway this afternoon. Looks like a lot of brush and some whole trees were washed down. The rain hasn't really come down hard today so hopefully we will dry out soon.

Photo--notice it is now handling the creek runoff, but note were it was washed out last evening.

No comments: