Friday, January 30, 2009

Kidding Time

Kidding has begun. I went to feed today and there was a missing goat. Went to look and she (Winnie) had just given birth to her second kid. Everything looked fine so I left her alone with the kids. As I was walking to her though I noticed a baby kid and walking away I noticed a second. I suspect these are Zulu's and were born two days ago. They were clean and content. I thought Zulu looked like she had dropped, but she was so bagged up that I didn't get a good look. I'll check them in the morning to confirm. Zulu is the most experienced goat I have and all the goats I have and almost all of the goats I have ever had are through her from years past. She is an excellent goat. That's her photo at the top of the blog and the reason it's there. She has paid for my share of the road assessment. I've been doubling the feed since we have little good grass now. I'll cut some cedar and get some hay supplement now that they are birthing. Hopefully they will all kid in the next few days. I'll get some more photos this weekend. An early spring would be wonderful. Update: photo: Zulu's kids, ~48 hrs, two females

Kenzie caught a mouse running out of the pavilion today. The mouse was in the bird seed and got trapped and made an unsuccessful dash for it. That made for a lot of excitement for the two dogs.

We had had an ice storm this past week. I haven't really looked for damaged tree limbs yet. My battery on the truck was weak and the cold finally did it in. Unfortunately I had just taken the wheel off the tractor the day before so I could not use the tractor to start the truck. Actually the Gator had enough juice for the job. Very lucky. The trip to town this week included tire repair and battery replacement to the usual errands. Today I got the wheel back on the tractor.

Life in the country--gotta love it.

No comments: