Thursday, December 25, 2008

Santa's Deer?

The wildlife camera works. After testing it yesterday I set it up in the back of the house. I strapped the camera to a cedar tree facing my feeder towards the northwest. I did notice some flashes during the night so I knew it had tried to take photos. I got several photos of deer including: a pair of does together, one small buck, and one good photo of a large buck (at left). That's probably an average size for a 'big' buck. I've seen larger. There were about 20 photos taken total and we were lucky to get a good photograph of a big buck on the first night. When the regulars begin to ignore the flash I'll get better photos. I bet it's not long before I get a photo of deer and raccoons together positioning for the feeder. I'm also curious as to what will be photographed in the day time. There will probably be 100's of photos tomorrow as I saw a squirrel sitting in the feeder for over an hour this morning. I guess it depends on how much motion the camera picks up.

Feeder: Notice my homemade feeder. I cut a stump flat and screwed a large plastic bowl onto it. I drilled a few holes to allow drainage and added the blue reflector. I've had a feeder on that stump for over five years so it's popular with the deer.

No comments: