Sunday, May 04, 2008

Journal Update

We had some more rain this past week. Not like last year, but enough to keep everything green and growing. Our tank is probably normal for this time of year. I saw some folks cutting hay yesterday which is a bit earlier than usual. Maybe they will get another cut by the end of the month. Cedar choppers have been working on the adjacent property for about a week. It needs clearing, but it looks like they may be over cutting. I hope they clear/burn the cedar tops or we will have a fire hazard next door when they dry out by fall. I did get a big cedar top from them to use to drag my road which I worked on this week after the rain.

We’re still clearing on the west bluff a little at a time. I was sitting out in the Gator enjoying a mojito while watching the fire on a stump I was burning and three baby Jack Rabbits came hopping by. Their ears were translucent in the sitting sun and it was interesting watching them explore the area. It is a great view to the west from the bluff, especially just before sundown. It’s close to the house so it will become our ‘backyard camp’ for sure.

I set up eight goat panels along along the 'goat lot' and the county road fence. I put up one as a temporary when we had the goats escaping a few weeks back. I might as well use them as a back up since I have panels which aren't being used. I have about 1/3 of the length covered and probably have enough panels for more than half. Enough to cover most of the bad areas of fence.

I did work on the ranch road especially the circle in front of the house. I have water moving off well on one side, but it’s washing out on the other. I moved and set a large cedar log and moved several large granite bolders to make a barrier. I also spread a couple tractor loads of larger gravel so hopefully we’ll get the water to run off the road and not down the road.

No comments: